Sunday, June 06, 2021

Review: My Gita

My Gita My Gita by Devdutt Pattanaik
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Hooter: The author's interpretation of the Gita

Divided into 18 chapters to correlate with the 18 chapters of Gita though not following the order to create a non-linear narrative, I felt this book was built for folks dealing with ADHD. A series of short excerpts that go thematically as per the author but feels all over or probably him stretching thin across all themes. I guess when you are taking a relatively nuanced and heavy topic and trying to create a series of 1 mark answers on them, you can't really get too far and that shows in this context. I probably say this makes for a trailer to a trilogy or beyond.

It is filled with conversations between Arjuna and Krishna taking a concept and then explaining dharma, adharma and numerous other concepts like moving towards a higher being and human being the closest to that level with a lot of examples from Ramayana too.

So if you want a tiktok video representation of the Gita, this book does it's best to capture the same in that context. For those serious about interpreting the original Gita, move on for this book only scratches the surface.

View all my reviews

No comments: