Monday, May 15, 2006

20,000 Leagues above the sea

Sorry Jules Verne, and no song with that name, incase you were looking for a link. 12th May? Whats so special apart from the fact Steve Palframan was born- that south African wicket keeper in WC ’96. Rest, just check wikipedia for the day that was…


I remember those Toastmaster speeches were we had this formal intro, body, conclusion part which everyone followed Hitler Style. The fad was start off like a horror story- 31st February, 1985- it was a dark moonless night…. N through the silence, a cry shattered it all. A baby girl/ boy was born and that was me… By the time my turn came in to speak, everyone had used this funda till it was as ragged as Ali Haider’s purani jeans. Keeping up with my “expect the unexpected “ reputation, I started off the same way, and watched people waiting to yawn. They had taken the bait, mind going into switch off mode. And then, “… a girl was born.” Eyes popped open, yawns stifled… Did shah have a sex change? Unfortunately, tabloids never give you full satisfaction, that intro was for my sister. N brought the speech back on track. The thrill you get outta surprising people keeps you speaking.


Anyways, so 12th may 2006, celebrating a score of my life, and not THE score. I am still a part of the infamous V gang. My birthday present- a trip back home after a year!!! Good enough. With a gang waiting at the doorsteps of hostel waiting to kickstart my trip back home, with small luxurious breaks to my rear each time the mobile rang. I was off for home. Then again, who gets to celebrate their birthdays in 4 countries, get 2.5 hours extra thanks to time zone difference and at 35,000 feet in the air? [Note: I wasn’t collecting kurkure packets for this. .]

If I was born a day earlier, I’d have ended up as an eccentric genius, following the footsteps of Richard Feynman and Salvador Dali.. India celebrating Pokhran tests or Apache Indian rocking away in the baby crib.


For company, I had the life story of Opal Mehta has Kaavya V. tries to get her to Harvard with success. Home sweet home, pizza from Pizza Hut awaits me J plus a yummy black forest cake.. My day has been made!!! I had forgotten that cakes can have such rich icing, and can actually melt in your mouth.


But I had got my best birthday present – A trip back home J

PS: Last time’s present was my last ever chemistry exam in my life. My chemistry with that subject is another long story shared by millions.


It comes once in a year

Atleast it works out your rear

One a, two a , blow after blow

Sets it red as if aglow.

A year more mature am I

A year less for me to die

Whichever way the glass is full

Having fun is the basic rule.

So enjoy the day while you can

Cakes and pastries don’t earn a ban

It doesn’t happen on every birthday of mine

That I am literarily upon cloud no. 9

The 2 and half hours were extra bonus

Sadly, the immigrations didn’t take the onus.

Made me a ping pong ball in the queue

Ended up doing rounds, quite a few.

Finally I set foot in Bahraini Soil

The coolness of ac making my blood boil.

To be back home on such a day

Grateful to the lord for 12th May!!!


1 comment:

Cauvery said...

Aha! I see you are now evolving from a film critic to a poet of sorts. Good going. :)