Monday, March 08, 2021

Review: A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs

A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs by Ben Garrod
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hooter: An extremely novel concept of talking about things we found cool as kids and never followed up - dinosaurs in this case.

I really liked the concept of the series, providing a layman overview of concepts we read in our science textbooks or fascinated about in our childhood and then sorta forgot about it. In this case, it is dinosaurs. I remember I knew a lot more dinosaurs than T-Rex, Diplodocus , steganosaurus etc as a kid but don't really remember too many now. Then again, I had trump cards pack on dinoasaurs as a kid. This series gets a number of paleontologists to share their insights on dinosaurs and how we have been building our knowledge on them through available pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and various technologies revolving around building a picture of the past. The potential of birds being the successors of dinosaurs also makes sense based on some of the details they share of how evolution could have led to the same. A very scientific approach to a topic we probably enjoyed but didn't grasp as kids with parts on how they grew so big, how do we really visualise them considering we only have a few skeletons and no images of their flesh and density and how'd mammals coexist with them if they did.

There are a lot more questions I'd have loved to get answered and that void is probably why I leave this as a three owls hooter.

View all my reviews

No comments: