Friday, March 18, 2022

Review: Midnight's Children

Midnight's Children Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hooter: The parallels between the birth of the protagonist and India and how their lives unfold.

Considered a must read in nouveau classic literature, finally got down to this book with an extremely interesting premise of the journey of kids born right at the gong of midnight when India received freedom and how intertwined their lives are. While Salman has a colorful writing style painting the imagery through the decades and setting up the environment really well, I found myself plodding through the storyline not being invested in too many of the characters that came and went in the melee of Saleem Sinai's life. The magical realism gets a bit contrite, a degree of self centredness fits in where the book feels like it is the author loving to hear his own voice than the audience's reactions. But a great capsule into the backdrop of Indian history. The Brass Monkey was my favourite character till she turns into Jamila . There is a wide assortment of interesting characters who make a cameo performance and move on. Probably the book is too elite for me or I just had higher expectations.



View all my reviews

No comments: