Monday, March 14, 2022

Review: The Secret Keeper of Jaipur

The Secret Keeper of Jaipur The Secret Keeper of Jaipur by Alka Joshi
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hooter: Second book in the trilogy of the henna artist and her supporting crew 12 years into the future in the 1960s

Still a period drama in an essence, this time it focuses on Malik - the cute boy grown into a fine young man as he deals with the life and coming of age. Alka continues to paint a womderful caricature of all the characters involved across locations and took me a while to get familiar with names of the past and how they had grown up. Whilst there is a move forward in their stories and how they have grown and changed over time as you'd expect humans to, it did get a bit tricky for me to re-evaluate the picture I had created for all the folks from my previous reading. The plot seemed relatively bland compared to the first one and not sure if this is the curse of trilogy that I always see with books and movies - the second one is usually sub consciouly written as a bridge to the third one and just remains that. This book felt the same.

View all my reviews

No comments: