Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Review: The Sentence is Death

The Sentence is Death The Sentence is Death by Anthony Horowitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hooter: A whodunnit murder mystery of a divorce lawyer.

Upfront, quintessentially British, Anthony Horowitz casts himself in this murder mystery as Hawthorne (ex police detective) biographer tagging along as he solves mysteries. He brings up his work on iTv's Poirot and Foyles war - both of which I loved! The challenge with reviewing murder mysteries is you can't say much especially if you did enjoy it. A good takeaway was similar to solving crimes and writing novels, Hawthorne talks of defining a shape. I'd say this one is a knot. I imagined it to be based in the 70s till they mention game of thrones three tv series becoming popular. He tries a couple gotchas for the reader which is a very different writing style so was unique for me. Also a very crisp writing style without meandering into too many dead ends to confuse the reader.

View all my reviews

No comments: