Friday, September 18, 2020

Review: Buddha Volume 1: Kapilavastu

Buddha Volume 1: Kapilavastu Buddha Volume 1: Kapilavastu by Osamu Tezuka
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hooter: A graphic novel representation of the journey of Buddha

Heads up! this is 8 volumes so you can imagine the pace in each volume. Osamu is a genius in the graphic novel world of Japan and this retelling of a historical event is way out of his comfort zone. That said he makes it a fun read, like you are reading a comic book ( graphic novelists are seeing red with that term) as he tries to incorporate childish humour and pranks in a story that motivates and inspires people around the world. I feel it is too early for me to comment on how he has treated this as the main protagonist doesn't even make an appearance on the planet yet. He touches the prevalence of social evils in the community ( laying the ground for a new school of life) in this volume.

Stand alone, this book doesn't hold much value so I'll reserve my comments once I get through a few more volumes to see how it all pieces together. That said if you enjoy Osamu's illustrations, you will not be disappointed.


View all my reviews

No comments: